Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patrick's Day

What to eat if you don't want meat? Tonight, cabbage two ways and roasted potatoes. And there's beer. Oh yes, there's beer.

OK, I added beets. But you get the point, I started with those base ingredients and went from there.

When you roast beet slices with potatoes, the beet juice caramelizes on the potato skins and, oh my good. You can serve with sour cream or yogurt, or one of those mixed with sriracha, but it's not really necessary.

In this case, just to get done more quickly, I started the beets cooking on the stove while the oven was warming up. So the whole shebang was done in an hour.

I had slaw in the fridge. Not kimchi or sauerkraut, vinegar slaw that keeps really well.

The red cabbage slaw with red peppers and vinegar is warm.

No comments: