Kiyo - sakura mochi and dumpling soup

I've been experimenting with different types of wagashi, traditional Japanese sweets. They're so delicate and beautiful, don't you think? I've been trying to perfect my recipe for sakura mochi, which is a classic cherry blossom-flavored sweet.

Let me start with dessert - the sakura mochi recipe

Here's what you'll need:

Ingredients:
2 cups glutinous rice flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
Food coloring (pink or red)

Sweet red bean paste (filling) Instructions: 

  1. Mix the glutinous rice flour and sugar in a bowl 
  2. Gradually add in the water and mix until a dough forms 
  3. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and pliable 
  4. Divide the dough into small pieces and shape each one into a ball 
  5. Flatten each ball into a disk shape and place a small amount of sweet red bean paste in the center 
  6. Fold the dough over to form a triangle or oval shape, and press the edges together to seal  

--

For the dumpling soup, I can give you my recipe for Kyoto-style Hot Pot! Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 cups dashi broth (we can use Shiitake Dashi)
Assorted vegetables (such as carrots, potatoes, lotus root)

Dumplings (made from scratch or store-bought) 

Instructions: 

  1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat 
  2. Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened 
  3. Add tufu and pour in dashi broth and bring to a boil 
  4. Add assorted vegetables and cook until tender 

For the savory filling in the dumplings for the hot pot, I use a combination of vegetables. I use pork, but we will leave that out for you.

The key is to get the right balance of flavors and textures. I sauté some onions, garlic, and ginger until they're soft and fragrant, then mix them with chopped cabbage, and a bit of soy sauce.

The result is a deliciously savory filling that pairs perfectly with the rich dashi broth in the hot pot. Sumire loves it when I add these dumplings to her hot pot – she says they're like little pockets of flavor that make her feel cozy inside.

To make dumplings from scratch is actually quite simple. Perhaps I might have been a bit too optimistic! Making dumplings from scratch can be a bit of a process, but it's definitely worth it.

You see, I used to struggle with making them when I first started out as a cook, but Sumire was always there to encourage me. She'd say, Kiyo-chan, don't worry if they're not perfect at first.

Just keep trying and you'll get the hang of it! And that's exactly what happened To make dumplings from scratch, you need to mix together flour and water to form a dough, then knead it until it becomes smooth and pliable. After that, you can divide the dough into small pieces and shape each one into a ball or oval shape. 

The tricky part is getting the wrapping just right – you want to make sure the filling is completely enclosed in the dough so that it doesn't fall apart when cooked But don't worry if your first batch doesn't turn out perfectly – practice makes perfect! And even if they're not visually stunning at first glance they'll still be delicious!

And that's what matters most, right? I mean, when Sumire and the other maiko take a bite of my cooking, they're not just looking for something pretty to look at – they're looking for a taste of comfort and warmth.

And that's exactly what I aim to give them with every dish I make. Even if my dumplings aren't perfectly shaped or my mochi isn't perfectly smooth, I know that the love and care I put into making them will shine through in the end. That's what being a cook is all about – sharing joy and nourishment with others through food.

I add the dumplings to the hot pot towards the end of cooking. I like to cook them in the broth for just a few minutes, so they're still nice and tender

That way, they absorb all the flavors of the dashi and vegetables, but don't become too soggy or fall apart. It's a delicate balance, but it's worth it for that perfect texture and flavor. 

When I'm cooking for Sumire and the other maiko, I usually add them to the pot when everyone is gathered around the table, so they can see them cooking in front of them. It's a fun little ritual that adds to the experience of enjoying a meal together.

Kiyo Nozuki